Ice baths are becoming increasingly popular among athletes and fitness enthusiasts for their ability to aid in recovery and reduce inflammation. If you’re a beginner looking to start taking ice baths, it can be daunting to know where to begin. But don’t worry — with a little bit of preparation and the right mindset, you can begin reaping the benefits of cold water therapy in no time.
Here’s how to get started:
- Prepare your ice bath: Fill a bathtub with cold water and add ice until the water temperature reaches around 50–60 degrees Fahrenheit. You can adjust the temperature based on your personal preference, but be careful not to go too cold too fast.
- Get in slowly: Don’t jump into the ice bath all at once — this can be a shock to your system and may cause hyperventilation. Instead, start by submerging your feet and gradually work your way up to your knees, hips, and so on until you’re fully submerged up to your neck.
- Stay in for a short amount of time: As a beginner, start with just 1–2 minutes in the ice bath and work your way up to longer sessions as you become more comfortable. It’s important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard too fast.
- Stay focused on your breathing: When you start to feel tight, or that it’s too much for you, slow. it. down. The best piece of advice I can give everyone is control your breathing, once that starts to get out of wack, you start to freak out. Pay attention to how fast (or slow) your breath is. Try having long exhales for 5 seconds or more.
- Warm up slowly: After your ice bath, it’s important to warm up slowly to prevent shock to your system. Take a warm shower or wrap yourself in a warm towel, and avoid going outside in cold weather right away.
- Repeat regularly: To see the most benefit from ice baths, it’s recommended to do them regularly — anywhere from 2–3 times a week to daily, depending on your personal goals and needs.
In conclusion, starting an ice bath routine can be a valuable addition to your recovery and wellness routine, but it’s important to approach it with caution and respect for your body. If you’re ready to take your ice bath to the next level, consider getting an edge theory labs cold tub as it is the elite among the elite in terms of quality. Ultimately, with the right preparation, mindset, and gradual progression, you can reap the benefits of cold water therapy and take your fitness to the next level.